June 3, 2008

My Top 5 Ultimate Utilities for Testing


This is my list of top 5 utilities I use for (automated) testing. I use them as helper programs in the (automated) test process, so this is not a list stating automated test tools, bug loggers etc. Every header is a link to the location where you can find the application.



5. API Viewer
View all useable functions and constants from all common Window API's and auto generate C/VB code for it.

4. Pycron

Your own cron tab under Windows, with GUI for editing events. You can run this as command line or as service. Stable, small and can run stand alone.

3. Notepad++ Portable
A notepad with many options. Simular to text editors as ultraedit except this one is free and can run stand alone (if you choose the portable version).

2. Synergy
Very useful when having multiple PCs with multiple monitors, but when you only want to use 1 keyboard/mouse combination. Mouse movement works just as you would expect from a dual/triple monitor setup, only you cannot drag your windows to the other screen (because it is a physical other machine). However the application manages to get copy pasting of text working most of the time.

1. Gadwin Printscreen
A customizable screen dump tool with one major advantage above lots of others: It can be called by the Command line. This gives it a great usage during automated testing.
Contains all features you'll expect in an ultimate tool: jpg, png, bmp and gif formats, custom filename, incremential filename, silence mode etc.
This application works stand alone (once unpacked, there is no installation needed on specific workstations, just run the executable).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good list. I like the ones I've heard of, and two of them are new to me. I'll be trying out pycron soon. I currently use Windows task scheduler extensively, and it is cumbersome to manage. I vastly prefer chron jobs. Gadwin printscreen looks good interesting too. I like the command-line aspect of it.

Bas M. Dam said...

In a top 5 there only fits 5. Soon I will post the numbers 6 to 10. If you like the numbers 1 to 5, there will be apps you'll find very useful between these.